The Sol C. Johnson High School Chapter of the National Honor Society has been renewed! Membership in the National Honor Society (NHS) is one of the highest honors that can be awarded to a high school student. Our chapter has worked hard to bring the accomplishments of outstanding students to the attention of parents, teachers, peers, and the community. Our chapter strives to give practical meaning to the Society's standards of scholarship, service, leadership, and character. These four ideals are considered as the basis for selection. No student is inducted simply because of a high academic average. The National Honor Society strives to recognize the total student—one who excels in all these areas. The standards used for selection are:
Scholarship: 3.0 cumulative average
Leadership, service, and character: as demonstrated by activities and teacher evaluations.
Membership, however, is more than an honor. It is an ongoing responsibility and an obligation to continue to demonstrate those outstanding qualities that result in a student's selection. Membership also carries a responsibility to the chapter. If our NHS chapter is to be effective and meaningful, each member must become involved.
These are the following requirements for this 2024 cohort since it is a shortened year:
- We will only induct seniors this January, and then have the membership run the induction of juniors (and any qualifying seniors) in May.
- Students will have a 3.0 (85%) average or higher to qualify for membership.
- Students should be required to complete 10 additional hours of community service (10 more than the 50 required of IB, and 10 more than the 20 required to graduate) to maintain membership and wear the stole at graduation. Future members can revert to the 50-hour requirement, but January's cohort is abridged.
- If students earn a C in ANY class this semester, their membership application will be rescinded.
- They must complete the application, be approved by the faculty and administration, attend the membership induction, complete the service requirement, pay the fee, and attend the membership meetings in order to wear the stole at graduation.
- Students will pay a $20 membership fee.
- To be considered for membership, students may not have major pending or past disciplinary infractions and understand that any infractions occurring after induction may result in cancellation of membership.