SCCPSS is proud to announce that the School of Liberal Studies at Savannah High's Business Program has received Industry Certification – the first program at the school to earn that distinction. A program that is recognized as industry certified, has received a "stamp of excellence" from the Georgia Department of Education, which represents the apex of program quality. Only those programs that have successfully undergone rigorous reviews by leaders from business and industry are recognized with this distinction.
GaDOE is committed to the industry certification process as a part of its effort to strengthen technical and academic standards for all Career, Technical and Agricultural Education (CTAE) programs. The formal process of Industry Certification is designed to strengthen all program components including:
- Classrooms and labs which are equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and technology.
- CTAE and academic performance standards that are aligned to national standards.
- In-depth, project-based instruction in all curriculum areas.
- Appropriate and varied Career Related Education (CRE) instruction, including school-based enterprises and entrepreneurial ventures.
- Career and Technical Student Organizations (CTSOs) which offer co-curricular competitive events on the local, state and national level and provide leadership development skills for personal and professional growth; and,
- Business, industry and community involvement in all aspects of the program.
Industry certified programs offer outstanding opportunities to students by ensuring participation in a program that has been carefully interfaced with current industry standards thus helping to increase their qualifications toward successful employment. The curriculum and the delivery method for that curriculum taught to students are improved and updated enabling the student to receive high quality instruction.
Programs are typically certified for a period of five years. During that time, the school conducts an annual review to ensure that the program continues to meet certification criteria. At the end of the certification period, programs may apply for re-certification. Industry certification standards are developed collaboratively by the Georgia Department of Education Program Specialists and the state-level business associations noted below. Input is also sought from CTAE instructors throughout the state. We congratulate the staff and students of Savannah High on this achievement!