While the COVID-19 pandemic disrupted school operations this year, SCCPSS recognizes graduation is one of life's defining and preeminent moments and we are committed to providing a safe event that represents the significance and dignity this occasion deserves.
In order for us to provide a ceremony that will properly honor the Class of 2021 graduates and observe the safety protocols for all attendees, we respectfully request that your graduate and his or her three guest(s) adhere to the following guidelines:
- The graduation ceremony will begin promptly at the published time. The entrance to T.A. Wright Stadium on the campus of Savannah State University will open one hour prior to the ceremony for the arrival of guests.
- All participants and guest are required to wear a mask when entering the stadium or arena, during the ceremony, and at all times. Face shields are not an acceptable substitute for masks.
- Social distancing requirements remain in place.
- Guests of each graduate are asked to enter the stadium or arena at the same time to ensure they are seated together. Each guest must present a ticket to enter the ceremony. Tailgating is not allowed. If you are not participating in the ceremony or have a ticket for the ceremony, you will not be allowed to remain on the campus.
- Guests and graduates will be required to complete security screenings and temperature checks prior to entering the ceremony.
- Clear bags will be required. Each guest is allowed one (1) clear plastic bag and one (1) small clutch.
- Graduates are asked not to bring personal items other than their cap, gown, and approved graduation regalia.
- Failure to participate in the screening procedures will result in denial of entry to the area where the ceremony is being held.
- Noise making devices, flowers and balloons will not be permitted inside the stadium/arena. When these items are present, they diminish the decorum of the graduation ceremony. Security staff will be on site to enforce this provision. Guests who do not abide by this provision will be removed from the stadium/arena.
- We ask that applause be held until all of the graduates' names have been announced. It is of utmost importance that family members and guests be allowed to hear the name to their graduate.
- Appropriate attire that supports the dignity and decorum of this event is recommended for guests. Graduates also have a required dress code.
- The parking lot at T.A. Wright Stadium is available at no charge on a first come, first served basis. Additional parking is available in designated area on the campus of Savannah State University. The Shell Road parking lot at Sol. C. Johnson high School is also available for additional parking to allow for carpooling. We encourage members of the same household to carpool.
- Graduates and guest will be allowed to access approved parking lots on the campus of Savannah State University at least an hour and fifteen minutes prior to the ceremony.
- Guests may enter and exit SSU's campus via the Jasmine Avenue, Whatley Avenue, or Laroche Avenue gates.
We look forward to honorable and dignified graduation ceremonies that proudly recognize our young people and appropriately celebrate this crowning achievement for the Class of 2021. Thank you for your support and assistance.